The apostle Peter said, “but in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect” (1 Peter 3:15).
The first step toward “always being prepared” to talk about the gospel is prayer—honoring the Lord in your heart.
Prayer is an essential element in our practical preparation to tell others about Jesus. Not only does it prepare us, it also helps us to hear from God about how best to represent Him as His ambassadors.
Read Romans 1:16 and Acts 1:8. These verses tell us the gospel itself has power and the Holy Spirit provides His followers with power to share the gospel.
- Pause now to give God thanks for the power described in both of these verses.
- Ask God to use His truth to give you enthusiasm and confidence to share the gospel.
Read Matthew 9:35-38. Jesus describes a “harvest,” people ready to turn from darkness to God’s wonderful light (see Acts 26:18). This implies that many people are ready to be “harvested.”
- Ask God to use you to lead specific people to trust Jesus as Savior and Lord.
- Ask God to bring to your mind the names of unbelievers for whom you may pray to accept God’s salvation.
You know a number of nonbelievers. You know people in several ways, including family, work, neighborhood, community, activities, hobbies, and organizations. Use these categories to help you create a written list of nonbelievers’ names:
You may also find it helpful to write these names on a 3 x 5 card to keep in your Bible or prayer journal. Pray regularly for each one, that he or she may turn to Jesus.
Read 1 Corinthians 9:19.
- In light of His Word, ask God what He expects from you when sharing Jesus’ gospel.
- In particular, ask Him to give you a servant’s heart in sharing the gospel.
- Also ask for practical ways you can serve people on your list.
Read 1 Corinthians 9:20-22.
- Ask God to enable you to relate to the people on your list through common experiences.
Read 1 Corinthians 9:23.
- Ask God to subordinate your will and plans to the importance of sharing the gospel.
Pray for the people on your list in light of the following Scriptures: Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8-9.
Now pray for the people on your list in light of the following Scriptures: Romans 10:9-10; 5:1; 8:1.